Monday, May 24, 2010

Stoke Lock to Hazelford Lock


After taking a look at the prop shaft and trying to figure out why it keeps disconnecting I went for a walk on the bank.   I saw while I was walking the Common Blue Damselfly doing a-what comes naturally.


There are plenty of Banded Demoiselles about and I am fairly sure that a Beautiful Demoiselle landed on the boat yesterday


Walk over and then out through the lock taking care to miss the crane on the way.  The weir is to the right so the flow takes the boat that way. BW are working on some moorings by the look of it.


Around the corner and it is the outflow from the large Sewage Farm at Stoke Bardolph.  What I would like to know what exactly do the swans expect to find coming down.  There are dozens of them here and just one or two all the rest of the way along the river.


At Burton Joyce the river makes a 180 degree turn to take the river to the other side of Trent valley. Plenty of wind blowing and the cool breeze is very welcome.


There are young birds every where.  The domestic type of goose seem to have a creche here for there are several couples with all the young mixed together and a load of slightly older ones on the bank.


The moorings are on the other side of Gunthorpe bridge.  Very handy for the pub but I only stayed for a few minutes to make a cuppa


More youngsters at the mooring.  Is it just me?  You see goslings, cygnets and ducklings and smile - Aaah.  Young Coot on the other hand look a bit scruffy and dare I say ugly :-)


On the way out of Gunthorpe Lock I catch a glimpse of the layers of gypsum in the red bedrock behind the trees.  Gypsum is dug not far from here in large quantities to make plasterboard.


On the left bank is the towpath.  It looks as though there are going to be some conversation pieces placed along it.  These were being carved as I went past.


Getting near now to Hazelford Ferry and then the lock.  All woods on one side and the valley on the other.


Behind the hills is an airfield from whence comes the gliders both towed and engined. They haven't reached much height by the time they are overhead here.



Hazelford Lock.  Straight in and through.  Then the problem starts again.


I decided to turn the boat around to go along side against the flow of water.  Bang goes the shaft while I am astern and I drift slowly into the bank.  I tie the bow rope to the anchor and drop it over the side.  Not to dig in but enough to hold the boat steady while I do a quick fix and get alongside.

Posted the question "How do I stop the shaft disconnecting till I can get a replacement" on the Canal World Discussion Forum and almost immediately got a reply - Try wrapping a drinks can around the shaft and inside the clamp.  Fingers crossed.

No comments: