Thursday, July 12, 2012

Wey to Brentford

 Moored up at Dapdune Wharf and expecting visitors.  The next thing is the red board going up on wharf wall saying that the river both up and down stream was closed until at least the following day. Even though we had organised to go onto the Thames on Wednesday and we are now a day late in leaving we do hope to catch up a little.

The rather delightful Observation Launch from 1933 was moored and tied up to the notice which said that it was the mooring for the community trip boat and as they were trying to get passed we moved the boat out of the way for them.

 The river was very fast when we came down stream from Guildford and after mooring and and the notice of closure being posted the level dropped something like 16 inches in an hour.  They must be opening plenty of sluices. By the next morning the water levels are back and the flow has slackened so we are away.

Still plenty of clouds about waiting to drop the rain on us.

On some of the bends the rollers for the ropes of the horses pulling the barges are still there.

Its back into the trees for us.

While holed up at the wharf I chatted to the chap on the stern of this boat.  It seemed that he had been stuck in the meadows while the river was in flood.  The problem was that he was running the above hotel boat which had a full load of passengers that needed entertaining. Bet he was pleased to get underway again.

Anyone fancy a restoration project :-)

The bank along here for well over half a kilometre is covered with mature bamboo bushes.

Going through one of the small footbridges I noticed the provider of the steel joists - Appleby Frodingham - all the way from sunny Scunny.

Still lots of water.  The triple weir at Papercourt flows well and doesn't help coming out of the lock.

The storm clouds are still following us and we do get some rain but then the sun comes out and we roast.

Some of the old buildings attached to what looked like a water mill.

Moored for the night.  We were going to top up with fuel and carry on but the marina is closed on a Tuesday so its top up Wednesday and see what happens after.

Topped up with derv and rather more expensive than the 85p previous and the 71.9 on the shroppie but at least the sun is out and a lovely day for the dash to Weybridge.

There is still enough room to get under the 7 foot 2 inch headroom and this one at 7 foot 6 on the exit to the lock. This lock has the angled gate arms.

Nice to have a a family of swans on the lawn.  This one looks right at home with the youngsters sat next to the owner and parents hardly bothered at all.

There is always a lovely view around the corner and on the River Wey there certainly are a lot of those.  The only downer on this trip has been the rain and the constant threat of getting stuck because of flood warnings.

The last lock before Thames Lock.  We got here a bit earlier than expected and went down with another boat which saved some effort.

Out of the lock and a 90 degree turn and its half a mile left. Mind you when we did get to the lock they were closed for lunch til 1400.  Its only a few hours to Teddington Lock and we will stay there the night before going onto the tidal Thames at about 0900.

Out onto the Thames and the combined flow from the Thames and Wey at one point pushed the boat right across the channel.  Out in the main channel and the community boat goes past.

Its not a bad day with some showers and some sun  Going through Ham and the clouds are passed and the sun is to come.

Some rather nice little weekend pads down here.

I am sure the last time I saw one of these it was the Aberdeen floating restaurant in Hong Kong :-)

First the locks of Sunbury

and the Hampton Court Palace.

Plenty of water buses going up and down the Thames.

They hace some superb gates on the front of the palace.

Another of the trip boats going past

There are plenty of boats looking very individual and this one stands out.

A few old boats stashed on the bank.  One of them a wreck inside an old barge.

Alongside is an old British Waterways carrier looking very sad.

Lots of paddle steamers - all with a propeller it seems.

Some boats that are straight out of a James Bond movie.

Teddington Lock.

Five boats end up going out this morning.  Some of them are going down as far as Limehouse.

Needless to say they all pass me.

Passing Ham and a rather large mansion on the right.

First decent type of bridge for ages and its at Richmond

Heading for the lock.  I did wonder how a lock could cope with the tides and straight through while the tide is in.


The weirs are up in the spans of the arches and you sail through with ease.

The lock is used when the tide is out and the weirs are then in place keeping water levels high.

Counted seven herons in this tree.

Another of those spiffing homes.

Hooray. Brentford is in sight.  Somewhere in the trees there is a left turn.

Around the corner and Thames Lock is straight ahead.  Getting into the channel is a lot easier than getting into Keadby Lock.

Back to the squeeze after the Thames.

At the first lock on the canal and a prat mooring up on the lock mooring.

Its 93 miles to Braunston - thats a fortnight then.

Brentford looks very nice but

at the facilities these bloody things are moored to the pillars.  On the pillars it says mooring for the facilities only.  I felt like going alongside for water and making them a little thinner.

This bit of canal is disgusting.  The water is filthy and rather smelly with plastic bags everywhere.

Bet he hasnt got a license.

The short flight of locks that goes up alongside the hospital that looks very like a prison.

This pound is very clear.  Clear enough to see all the rubbish on the bottom.

The rubbish here is too close to the top of the water and we are aground.  Luckily one of us is on the bank and can let more water down.

Three Bridges.  The road goes over the canal which is over the railway line.

Last lock of the day.  Just a mile left and its mooring time outside Tescos carpark.

No comments: