Thursday, March 21, 2013

Preambling to Thorne

 After a quick trip to the States to sample the delights - of which there were many - of California its time at last to start this years trip.  First thing in the morning the mist came down but the sun was not far behind.


 A lovely day and its good to be underway heading for a couple of days in Lincoln.

 One of my favourite moorings in Lincoln.  The little island next to the Siemens carpark and a very short walk to the Archives.

  The river is flowing rather fast today as I enter Lincoln centre.

 A new cafe boat is tied up and with the narrowing of the canal the boat is slowing down.

 By the time I am at the Glory Hole the engine is working quite hard but making a steady speed.

 Its back to the long straights to Torksey.

 Stopping today at The Pyewipe Inn.  A brilliant place to stop for a meal.  Syd and Heidi are coming out from Horncastle to meet us. As usual the meal was spot on.

 The next day and it on to Saxilby to fill up at Tongs ready for the trip down the Trent.  The weather has cooled down somewhat so we stay and extra day til the sun comes out.

 and it does.  Sorted out the tide with Neil at Torksey Lock.  Haven't seen Richard and Ruth of nb Comfortably Numb.  Guess they must have already gone on to Newark.


 More lovely weather at Torksey.  Off out on the tide at 0930 ish but not much speed expected as its Spring Neaps.

 To keep on ones toes there is always the possibility of one of the big boys popping up.

The weather last and Gainsborough looks good.  One day I must make use of the floating pontoon.

 Ooh its a bit wide out on the Trent.  Spotted a fin in the water.  Fairly sure its not a shark :-) but could be a dolphin I suppose.

 West Stockwith Lock and a couple of hours in to the journey.

 Its getting cold by the time the M180 motorway bridge comes into sight.

 and the old lift bridge is even more welcome with only a mile left to Keadby Lock. 

Into the lock.  Slight problem as I get in.  Lined the bows up spot on and as I swung over to enter the lock the bows rise up.  I have found the sand bar at the lock mouth.  Slightly upstream and I get in.


 Moored up across from Phyllis and Spider T. Time to leave the car behind and plod on.

Couple of days and the last bit on to Thorne.  Waiting for the train to pass so we could have the bridge opened for us.

Moored in Thorne for a few days while I finished some of the bits and pieces that needed doing.  The water pump has taken to leaking and taking in air so that will keep me busy for one day. 

Then its off towards Leeds.

No comments: